Monday, March 14, 2011

Recipe: Skillet Pasta Florentine

Hey friends!  I tried a new recipe last week that I wanted to share.  For those of you who are not meat lovers, this is a meat-free recipe.  I also think if you wanted to tweak it to add some ground turkey or chicken, it would be delicious!  I did make a few changes to the way I prepared this, because I wanted to make it ahead in a casserole dish and bake it in the oven instead of in the skillet.  I've noted my changes in red.  Hope you enjoy!

Skillet Pasta Florentine
From:  Taste of Home Healthy Cooking
Prep: 20 minutes  Cook Time:  30 minutes



Ingredients

  • 3 cups uncooked spiral pasta (I used whole wheat rotini)
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
  • 2 cups (16 ounces) 2% cottage cheese
  • 1-1/2 cups reduced-fat ricotta cheese
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
  • 1 jar (14 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
  • 1 teaspoon each dried parsley flakes, oregano and basil (I used 3 tsp. Italian Seasoning)
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

  • Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the egg, cottage cheese, ricotta, spinach, 1/2 cup mozzarella and herbs.
  • Drain pasta. Place half of sauce in a large skillet; layer with pasta and remaining sauce. Top with cheese mixture.  I used a 13 x 9 dish.  Spread about 3/4 cup of sauce on the bottom of the dish, layer the pasta and pour the remaining sauce over the pasta.  Top with cheese mixture.
  • Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 25-30 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.   I baked at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
  • Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and remaining mozzarella cheese; cover and cook 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 383 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 775 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 27 g protein.


1 comment: