Thursday, December 30, 2010

New Year's Resolution? Why wait?!?!?!

It's that time of year again!  New Year's Resolution time!!!  From the time I was 14 to the time I was 29, every year my resolution was the same vague statement:  "lose weight".  That was about as far as I got with it....you can imagine that with no strict parameters around that statement, I wasn't very successful.  Sure, I would start the latest fad diet, and maybe even work out once or twice, but by February 1st, I had generally given up.  By the end of the year, I was usually 5-10 pounds heavier than I was at the beginning of the year.  This cycle continued for YEARS.  Until March of 2009, when I decided to change.  After the birth of my last child, I decided to finally do it FOR REAL.  For me and my health, not for a size.  The best part?  I didn't wait until a Monday to start.  I didn't wait for the first of the month to roll around.  I started on a Wednesday in the middle of March.  My point?  You don't need to wait for some milestone date to start doing something good for yourself.  Whatever your resolution is - START NOW!

Sure, this year around Christmas time, I ate my fair share of sugar cookies and meatballs...but the difference?  I didn't do it for a month straight and I didn't tell myself the usual "I have until January 1st to eat like a pig and THEN I'll start eating better".  I might have thrown a sugar cookie or two into my day, but for most meals, I still made better choices than I ever had before.  And guess what?  I didn't gain any weight during the holidays FOR ONCE!  Even weirder?  On December 26th, with the prior evening's Christmas dinner in my belly, I decided I wanted to exercise outside for some fresh air....so I bundled up in my hubby's cold weather running gear and decided to take a walk.  But, when I stepped out the front door, I thought "why not see how far I can run"?  So, my plan was to do the 3.6 mile route around town, start jogging, go until I got tired, and then walk the rest of the way.  Can you believe - I never got tired?  I ran the whole stinkin' 3.6 miles and felt like I could keep going.  Now, for anyone who knows much about me - you know I've NEVER been a fan of running.  When I played softball, my team mates affectionately (I think) gave me the nicknames "lead butt" and "wheels" for the way I ran around the bases.  Maybe I'm still not the fastest runner, but I actually enjoyed it and felt full of energy.  Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I hit the treadmill at the gym yesterday and did another 3.6 miles - and again, felt awesome.  So - on a Wednesday, in the middle of the morning I decided, why not train for a half marathon?  I didn't wait - I decided right then and there.  Here's me in the cold running gear "ninja" outfit:


Whatever you are planning on resolving to do in 2011, I challenge you to start it today.  Here's to your health and goals in 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment